Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Record Reviews #6 (7inch Frenzy)

Heartattacks
Radio Radio
Ken Rock

This band is going to have a hard time shaking the Teengenerate comparisons, but who’d want to lose that anyways? This is an awesome four-song doozy of spazz-out in your living room, fuck-your-neighbor-I’m-turning-this-up-really-loud-punk rock. Whenever I’ve had a bad day at work, I can crank “Quit My Job” and I do feel a little better. Thank you Sweden for giving us great bands like the Heartattacks!
www.heartattacks.tk

Heartattacks
Your Lies
Plastic Idol

When Mario told me he was releasing this record, I wasn’t that familiar with the Heartattacks. Between that announcement, and the release of this record, I acquired their Here Comes… LP on P-Trash, and their Radio Radio EP. Where had I been? This translucent yellow vinyl holds three great tracks, including an awesome cover of the Features’ “Floozie of the Neighborhood”. My favorite track is “Wait Around”, but all are great. Plus, the guy who recorded this 7inch goes by Junk E. Male. How can you not love that?
www.heartattacks.tk

Manikins
Spend the Night Alone
Plastic Idol

One track from their Lie Cheat and Steal LP on P-Trash, and two unreleased tracks- here’s to striking gold once again. I’m completely stuck on “Still afraid of girls”; I love everything about that song. It’s a bittersweet, catchy, power pop song with an irresistible chorus. This record has the capability of being one of my favorites of the year. Pressed on simple, but effective white wax with a crème-colored label, this is one you shouldn’t pass on.
www.the-manikins.com

Thee Mothballs
Come out of the Closet
Car-Hole Adult Party

Great sloppy, garage punk with keyboards mixed in for an ultimate spill-your-beer-all–over-the-place dance party. For the second side, you start the tracks from the inside out. How cool is that? Almost as cool as you’ll look once you throw this on the turntable. You like the Mummies? You like Supercharger? You like the Statics? You’ll like this.
Website

Nix
Speed Freaks E.P.
Self Released

Say hello to Portland’s Nix, featuring Rob of the Minds. This is some great low-fi, snotty punk rock. It reminds me of the Sneaky Pinks with the goofy lyrics, and simple guitar riffs, but instead of writing songs about underage girls and hotdogs, they sing about bad teeth and speed freaks. Their previous 7inch didn’t disappoint, and either does this.

Sexaphone
Fuck Your Space
Yakisakana

Sexaphone is a UK two-piece featuring Janie Too Bad (great punk name) from Black Time. Both tracks on the B-Side are the best on this record. Like Black Time, they’ve got catchy, bass-heavy riffs, but this time it’s all female vocals that remind me of Toby Vail.
On a completely, unrelated note, does anyone notice how all the Yakisakana records smell like burnt coffee? I think it’s the ink on the sleeves.

S.I.D.S.
Kandy Kane
Stick Figure

Anxious synth-driven music with frantic keyboards and urgent vocals. This record got really hyped, but when its all said and done, a little disappointing. I think in part of all the Screamers comparisons, and that will only let you down since no band can ever hold up to such standards. The b-side, “Space Ranger in a Manger” is my favorite.


Coming Soon: More 7inches and I’ll start on the LPs, which include Crash Normal, the Ejectors, Frustration, OCs, and more…

1 comment:

DJ Rick said...

I think the S.I.D.S. record--or just about any new "synthpunk" band--gets an unfair shake anytime someone mentions it together with Screamers, Nervous Gender, Metal Urbain, etc. But it is pretty good, and it's even rather original. It's like "synthpunk" that's been influenced by the best of the last 20 years of modern hardcore and even some melodic hardcore. It's almost like Popular Shapes playing keyboards instead of guitars.