Thursday, March 23, 2006

Record Reviews #3

Angry Angles
“Things are Moving” 7inch
Shattered

Woah, this is amazing. Now I know why is band is selling over a thousand copies of their records. Those lucky mid-western bastards. I wish we had a band like this here. I heard “Stab You Dead” and I thought, wow, this is pretty good, than the catchy intro of “You Call it Love” and that’s where I knew this was an amazing record. I didn’t even need to hear the A-side, but of course, I listened, and the intro to “Things are Moving” has this great Reatards-esc guitar. OK, this is a band you must own EVERYTHING by.

King Khan and BBQ Show
“S/T”
Goner

One of thee best records of 2005 hands down, (along with the Black Lips), King Khan and BBQ, both prior members of the Spaceshits, gives us one of those records that people will remember; I have no doubt it will be a classic. Both are super talented musicians who play in other projects as well. (BBQ aka Mark Sultan currently plays solo and has had records out on Alien Snatch and Bomp, has also been in Les Sexareenos and is also in the new Mind Controls. King Khan also does time with his band the Sensational Shrines.)
It does no good to point out superb tracks on this record, because you’d just be writing out the entire track list.
Nostalgic 50s rock n roll with a garage twist- you’ll get seriously hooked.

Sleepers
“The Less an Object” CD
Tim Kerr Records

An older release (1996) that I think some people missed, originally recorded in the late 70s and early 80s. Features Ricky Williams, former drummer of Crime, & also played in Flipper and the Toiling Midgets. This compiles their first 5-song EP, a single, and miscellaneous tracks. Their best work is the most sought out after EP (reissued a while back). I don’t know what happened after this, the band departed from their early sound, got sort of electronic and experimental, and lost some of their allure for me, but it’s a nice retrospective none-the-less. “No Time” is one of my favorite songs ever. This is worth it for that song alone.

Sneaky Pinks
“I Can’t Wait” 7inch
Rubber Vomit

Three fun numbers by two dudes who sound like they are having way too much fun. Also features a member of the Okmonics. “I Can’t Wait” is a super catchy number about getting young chicks, as is “Kill Kill Kill” with it’s irresistible chorus. “Kill, kill, kill, die, die, die, yyyyyyeeeaaaahhhh-oooooohhhhh”. Comes in super DIY-foil sleeve. Only 300 made, act fast!
www.myspace.com/sneakypinks

No comments: